Anchor Camera Harness FAQ
- Peak Design integration: Alright most of you get why this is awesome but I’ll run you few a few points.
- First, you have the quick release, this means it’s easy remove your camera at any point and swap the body to a standard neck strap like the ones we make, or throw on another body onto the harness.
- Second, it’s incredibly silent and no more metal coming in contact with your camera body.
- What about the Anchor links, are they strong enough to handle my heavy gear? Yes, each anchor link is rated at 200lb each, we’ll also be including optional safety tethers with every Harness. You can read more about Peak Design Anchor links here.
- How about camera swing? Some have asked about camera swing. From my experience, but also talking with the other testers, this hasn’t been noticeably different than other Harnesses used, you’ll experience some camera swing on any Harness. That said, I do have a longer term goal to make this particular experience even better, but that is a little further down on the road map, but I’ll share more as soon as I can.
Peak Design anchor mount: This is the piece of hardware we’re using that enables you to attach to the bottom of your camera. Peak design has done a great job with this hardware in that it doesn’t come unscrewed once you’ve attached it, unlike many other screw mount attachments. You’ll use an allen key to tighten and then loosen when you are ready to remove. Here’s a link to this product for reference
- No tangle design & weight distribution:
- The leather back plate is design to keep you from accidentally tangling your harness, if you’ve used other harnesses with an X back design you know the frustration :)
- Additionally, the back plate also distributes the weight of the camera load more comfortably than X design harnesses which helps with comfort while shooting all day.
- Sizing: We've been working with a model that has a very wide range of sizing adjustments, that said we are actively working with a few other photographers with different body build sizes to get final feedback on our adjustments. If there is a sizing issue with your first edition Harness, we'll be sure to fix it to your needs.
- Lightweight and Minimal: We worked hard to deliver the smallest foot print possible, while also ensuring comfort. These Harnesses weigh ~15oz which is 35% lighter than a popular competitor harnesses. When your on your feet all day, every little bit counts in helping you manage your energy. We’ll also include removable shoulder pads which will give you that extra support on your shoulders when carrying heavier gear.
- Long-hair friendly: We’ve stripped out extra D-rings other metal hardware that is prone for hair to tangle around, this makes for a comfortable experience with taking off your harness or adjusting it.
- Leather Color options?: For this early release we’ve landed on Black Dublin and Nut Brown Dublin leathers from Horween Leather in Chicago. This Tannery is world renown for it’s quality leathers, and the Dublin line is incredibly strong, yet has a more broken in feel than other traditional heavy weight leathers used for harnesses and other belt like products. (Nut Brown is pictured on models)
- Delivery timeline: We’re taking pre-orders for our first edition production run to be delivered by Early December. We should be in good shape to meet this deadline so long as there aren’t any significant delays with material and hardware orders. We’re giving ourselves until December to be able to bulk order materials, and also make an additional hiring to help us with production for this product and the holiday season.
Why are you doing a pre-sale and soft launch of this product?
1. A few years ago we launched a successful Kickstarter campaign that launched our brand. During that process we established a community with many of you, and I am hoping we can do the same with this process. I'm excited to get to know you all, and learn how we can make this product something that really elevates your shooting experience!
2. We'll get valuable feedback in this process. I’m very confident in the current version we're offering, as we’ve had 5 wedding photographers shooting with these for months now, but I know we'll learn new things we can do to make them even better.
3. Lastly, you’ll be helping enable our business to grow and scale. With the advanced income from these preorders, we’ll be able to buy materials at greater volume discounts, and also make a second hire to help with production